Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Homemade Agave Marshmallows

I've looked for a marshmallow recipe that uses unrefined sugar for YEARS. About five years ago, a friend and I tried a recipe that called for brown rice syrup. We were disappointed by the result. It was a gooey, sticky, brown mess that didn't resemble marshmallows AT ALL.

Yesterday, while searching for something totally different, I stumbled across Volcanic Nectar's link for an agave marshmallow recipe, complete with instructional video. I couldn't believe how easy it looked, so I tried it immediately. It worked beautifully. Last night we had stevia hot chocolate, and each of us got an amazingly delicious marshmallow in our mug.

In the past I've wanted to make fudge, but have found that many of the best recipes have marshmallows or marshmallow creme in them. Now I can try making fudge thanks to this fantastic marshmallow recipe!

Check out the fluffy goodness!


3 comments:

Christie said...

No way! I was wanting to make some marshmallows and couldn't figure out how to do so without a bunch of "other" sweeteners. ;)

Great find! Those look so good.

Renee and Agua Family said...

I am so glad to have stumbled on your blog while looking for an agave cake mix recipe. People think I am crazy for trying to keep sugar out of my kids lives but being able to have fun still with simple pleasures!! I wish I could figure out how to do sugar cookies with agave and frosting!! :) That is my favorite holiday thing!! I will try these marshmellows for sure!

Kid Feed Mommy said...

Hi, Renee! Thanks for posting. That's awesome that you are giving your kids such a wholesome diet. Good for you.

Check out my Jack-o-Lantern post for how I do sugar cookies!

http://kidfeed.blogspot.com/2007/10/jack-o-lantern-cookies.html

Let me know if you try the marshmallows and what you think of them. Have fun!